Friday 26 September 2014

Xavi is always important: Luis Enrique

Luis Enrique: Xavi still special - but things changeThe Blaugrana boss says that he needs the midfielder - even though the 34-year-old did not play a single minute of the midweek draw with Malaga
Barcelona coach Luis Enrique has reassured Xavi that he still has a role to play at Camp Nou but warned the veteran playmaker that "things change as the seasons go by".
Xavi has been a virtual ever-present in
the Blaugrana midfield ever since he broke into the first team as a teenager in 1998.
However, the now 34-year-old has only played a bit-part role since Luis Enrique replaced Tata Martino at the helm this summer and did not see a minute of action in Wednesday's 0-0 draw with Malaga.
“When these kinds of games come along I have to consider everything carefully; these matches require solutions," Luis Enrique explained during a press conference on Friday.
"I’ve said before that I need Xavi – just like I need every player in the squad. I will use all of them when I need them.
"Every time I leave someone out there is a debate: last week I was being unfair to [Marc] Bartra. But I can only play 11 [players].
"I am the one who has to make the decisions. Xavi is a special player – we all know that.
"We were team-mates together, but this is football and things change as the seasons go by.
"I understand and respect your concern about Xavi - and I will use all of my players when I need them, depending on the situation."
Xavi will be hoping for a recall on Saturday when Barca host Granada, a game that Luis Enrique expects will be anything but straightforward.
“I’m expecting to see the version of Granada which we’ve seen in recent weeks," the former midfield ace mused.
"They’ve been getting good results, they’re strong in attack, hard-working – they’re a quality side who are adept at set-pieces.
"I’m sure they’ll give us problems; we’ll see if we’re capable of solving them."

No comments:

Post a Comment